Coley Kenward & Partners
18 Blyth Road
020 8460 7738
020 8460 7753
Using advanced 3D modelling techniques, it is now possible to straighten misaligned teeth without the need for conventional braces, and their associated metal wires and brackets. As with tooth whitening, invisible brace systems such as Invisalign and Clearstep enable our dentists to improve your smile simply and with minimum fuss. The aligners are clear and almost invisible, and can be removed easily for meals and to clean your teeth.
What is involved?
Initially you will need a consultation. Impressions of your teeth are taken which are then scanned in 3D into a computer system, allowing the dentist to plan the tooth movements required. (Patients who have severe crowding may not be suitable for treatment with invisible aligners.)
How does it work?
A series of customized transparent aligners are constructed. Each aligner is slightly different from the previous and a new one is placed over the teeth at specific intervals decided by the clinician. This produces a gentle but gradual force that moves your teeth to their desired positions.
How long will it take?
The length of treatment varies from patient to patient depending on the extent of tooth movements. Cases average from 9 to 18 months.
Advantages of clear braces?
• The thin aligners are transparent and barely noticable to most people.
• The treatment is less painful than conventional wire braces which can cut and cause irritation.
• The braces are completely removable allowing eating, drinking and cleaning as normal.
• No unsightly metal brackets so you can smile and socialise with confidence.
• The computer models give you an idea of how things will look before treatment commences.
You will need to wear the braces for at least 20 hours a day, and oral hygiene must be excellent underneath the aligners. There will be a little discomfort during the first few days as your teeth begin to reposition.